Friday, June 14, 2013

A moment to stop and think

One of my professors in college told me that doing an internship this summer won't do me any good. She would say, "Look at your paper, you've only lost marks in theory. During a job interview you'll be asked theory only. Nobody will see whether or not you can write code. Jabtak aapko peheli cheez nahi aati, doosri cheez kaise karogey? Aagey kaise badhogey?"
The truth is, I only lost marks because I didn't study at all. And there's no way I could read books full of concepts and theory all summer. I wasn't feeling too good about the prospect of Computer Science and Engineering either, I was scared that maybe I made a big mistake by opting for it. That is, until I got a slight glimpse of what all I can do with such knowledge, when two of my friends and I worked on a database project last semester. We made something like a search engine. It was refreshing, finally applying what you've learnt, rather than learn more and do nothing with it. That is exactly what I'm doing this summer- Applying my knowledge in the real world, and actually making my contribution count. And that's why I believe that I've learnt more in 3 weeks here than I've done mugging up definitions and writing useless SML and Prolog code snippets in during my 2 years in college...


Look at all those skills! Didn't get them from just reading books, I assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment