Wednesday, June 12, 2013

13th June

As per the previous post, I had done till part 3) of the problem discussed.

However, I had started experiencing unexpected problems from part 1) itself.
The page wasn't functioning correctly. The user gets authenticated, his/her skills are extracted from LinkedIn and dispayed on the page with options to edit(check/uncheck so far. Planning to incorporate an 'Add More' button)  and submit them. But as soon as the page finishes loading, the CSS would disappear. I know for sure it has got something to do with the API's. I found a way around it. It turns out that the script overrides the CSS settings and displays basic HTML. So instead, I made the script write the CSS file call onto the body of the document, using document.write(). In hindi, such a fix is called  'जुगाड़'! 
Also, when I had made the dummy skills page earlier(you would know if you're following the blog correctly), I had already written the PHP code for storing the selected skills in the database. So I used the same code, barring a few modifications such as table definitions and variables, to store the data. I was modifying it run perfectly earlier in the day. I've defined the database tables now-
  • User, consisting of the user's id (auto-incremented), his first and last names, and his LinkedIn profile URL.
  • Skill, consisting of the skill's id (auto-incremented), and the skill name.
  • user_skills, consisting of the combination of user and skill id's which determines which skills are related to a particular user.
I ran the simulation on different systems, and it seemed to be running fine, but I won't guarantee the database's reliability yet.

My next step would be to make a separate page that lets users (who are NOT visiting the web page for the first time) view their stored skills and add/remove them as per their wish.

The web page requires lots of tuning on the display front. It shows how much I still have to master CSS.

Sushil sir introduced me to loads of new fonts made available through Google Fonts API
They don't work, however. Some settings need to be changed on the server, which I won't be doing any time soon.

Tomorrow is progress evaluation day, I think, like Friday. I hope I haven't made any huge error or mistake for which i might be scolded. No guitars for tomorrow, though, since I didn't receive any song suggestions from my fellow colleagues.
Nonetheless, I personally think I've made great progress under my mentors here at NCR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment